Saturday, April 20, 2013

Green Tea Swiss Roll with Red Bean


This is my first post for my baking blog. I hope I can share with you my baking experiences and recipes. Hope you will try it out! :)

Ok, let's talk about Swiss Roll..... I fall in love with Swiss Roll when my ex-colleague introduced me to the Swiss Roll that sells from Breadtalk. At that time, Breadtalk sells two type of Swiss Roll. They have the green tea swissroll with the red bean filling and the classic chocolate Swiss Roll. I love the green tea Swiss Roll with red bean so much! I always bought it for my breakfast or snack... it always delight me. Early this year, I realized that my favourite green tea Swiss Roll was not selling anymore in Breadtalk.... I've been searching for it for a few months and confirmed that they have discontinued this item. What a pity! Their Swiss Roll is really good. I don't know why they want to stop selling it. Anyway, my strong craving for this green tea Swiss Roll have driven me to make one for myself.





















I've did some research and got the recipe from the Nasilemaklover blog. I also watched and learned the technique of making Swiss Roll from 孟老师 from Taiwan. I've brought this Swiss Roll to office to share with my colleagues. They commented that the mascarpone cheese was too strong for their liking.... the sponge cake tastes good. Some people who don't like cheese will not like the mascarpone cheese fillings.... I will make this Swiss Roll again with the whipped cream next time.














Green Tea Swiss Roll (with red bean and mascarpone cheese)

(recipe adapted from Nasilemaklover blog)

 * make one 11" x 14" (28cm x 36cm) Swiss Roll
Ingredients
26g unsalted butter, melted
4g egg yolk (5 medium egg yolks)
26g caster sugar
10g green tea powder
126g egg white (4 medium egg whites)
80g caster sugar
47g cake flour, sifted

Filling
Red bean paste (I bought the canned azuki (Japanese red bean) from supermarket because I don't have time to cook it myself. Alternatively, you can cook it yourself  - cook 100g red bean with water in pressure cooker for 20mins.)
120g Mascarpone cheese (or Whipped Cream)
20g caster sugar




















To make Swiss Roll Sponge

1. Whisk egg yolks and sugar over a pot of hot water till thicken and pale in color.

2. Add green tea powder into egg yolk mixture, stir well and set aside.

3. In another clean bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until foamy, gradually add in sugar and beat till glossy and soft peaks form.

4. Take one-third of egg whites mixture to mix with the egg yolk mixture using a hand whisk. Then fold in the remaining egg white using a spatula until well combined.

5. Gently fold the sifted flour (in 3 batches) into the batter. Take some batter and add into melted butter to incorporate and add back to the remaining batter and mix well.

6. Pour the batter into baking tray lined with baking paper. Spread evenly with a scraper. Gently knock the tray on tabletop to remove air bubbles trapped in the batter.

7. Bake in preheated oven at 180C/ for around 13mins.

8. When cake is done, remove from pan and place on a wire rack to cool.

To make Mascarpone cheese cream / Whipped cream

1. Beat Mascarpone cheese / Whipped cream and sugar till stiff peaks form, chill in the fridge for later use.

To assemble Swiss Roll
1. Carefully turn the baked sponge cake onto a piece of baking/parchment paper.
2. Slowly peel off the attached baking/parchment paper from the cake.

3. Place a new piece of baking/parchment paper over the sponge. Invert the sponge again.

4. Slice out a small piece of sponge on a 45-degree angle at another end, so the end of sponge will neatly attached to the sponge at the end of rolling.

5. Make two slits across the breadth of the cake at the side nearest to you with a knife.

6. Spread evenly a layer of Mascarpone cheese cream over the entire sponge and followed by a layer of red bean paste.

7. With the shorter side/breadth facing you, roll the cake up tightly to form a Swiss Roll Wrap with cling wrap and chill in the fridge to allow the Swiss Roll to set. Slice to serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment